At ever shorter intervals, a PS5 can be bought from PlayStation Direct: but you can only order a PlayStation 5 with good preparation.
Beginning May 17, 2022, we will be documenting and updating all PlayStation Direct events exclusively in this post.
PlayStation Direct is Sony Interactive’s online ‘factory outlet’, meaning you order hardware and software directly from the PlayStation manufacturer. This option has been available in the USA since 2019 – in Germany the online shop has been open since November 8, 2021.
The following products are currently available from the PlayStation Store:
- SOLD OUT PlayStation 5 game consoles (with disc drive for €499.99 – Digital Edition for €399.99)
- DualSense wireless controllers in White (€69.99), Midnight Black (€69.99), and Cosmic Red (€74.99), Nova Pink (€79.99 – since January 14, 2022), Galactic Purple ( €79.99 – since January 14, 2022) and Starlight Blue (€79.99 – since January 14, 2022)
- PS5 cover (side panels / faceplates) in five colors (€54.99 – since January 21, 2022)
- Pulse 3D Wireless Headset in White or Midnight Black (€99.99 each)
- PS5 Media Remote (€29.99)
- PS5 HD Camera (€59.99)
- PS5 Dualsense Charging Dock (€29.99)
- Sony Interactive PS5 games (e.g. Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Returnal)
- PlayStation Plus memberships
- PlayStation Now memberships
- PlayStation 4 hardware (consoles, PlayStation VR)
Who can order from PlayStation Direct?
In principle, every adult customer who has a delivery address on the German mainland. Customers in Austria and Switzerland will have to wait until PlayStation Direct is also available there.
Is it worth shopping at PlayStation Direct?
Conditional. Because accessories and PS5 games are offered at the list price – means: For comparatively new PS5 titles like Returnal or Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart are a stately € 79.99 due. The prices are at shippers and in the electronics market clear underneath. Tip: If you are a member of PlayStation Plus, at least there are no shipping costs.
What forms of payment does PlayStation Direct accept?
For months was for orders at PlayStation Direct in Germany mandatory A credit card (Visa or Mastercard) is required. You can now also pay for the order with PayPal.
How to buy a PS5 on PlayStation Direct?
Buying a PS5 from PlayStation Direct is a bit ‘special’ and works like this:
- The basic requirement is a PlayStation Network (PSN) account. If you own a PlayStation 4, you also have a PSN account. You can use these credentials to log into PlayStation Direct at any time.
- PS5 sales are very irregular on PlayStation Direct, usually at intervals of several days and weeks – in 2022 this was the case only eight times (25.1. / 22.2. / 17.3. / 12.4. / 19.4. / 26.4. / 12.5. / 16.5.). Between these dates is the device “not available”.
- As soon as there is a PS5 contingent again, Sony Interactive will write to randomly selected customers by email. To do this, you must signal your PS5 interest by registering on the PlayStation Direct website.
- Also check within PlayStation Direct under the menu item “Notifications” whether there is a tick next to the entry “Received by email” is set – otherwise Sony should not contact you.
- If you are selected, you will receive an invitation e-mail the afternoon before the PS5 sale day (tip: check your inbox as well as your spam folder regularly!). It includes date and time information and a personalized link to the PlayStation Direct shop. You can then order the PlayStation 5 (€499) or the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition (€399) within the specified period – but only per household one Console and only while stocks last.
- Please make sure to be on time and log in at the very beginning of the given timeslot: recent PS5 sales on PlayStation Direct have shown that console supplies only last 15-20 minutes. In the event of a premature sell-out, there is no entitlement to a further attempt.
- Access to the online shop is regulated by a queue. Do not be unsettled by the displayed waiting time (1 hour and more): In practice it is much faster and it is your turn within a few minutes. The page updates automatically – a signal tone sounds when you enter (loudspeaker on!).
- Attention: An activated ad blocker (especially with Google Chrome) can prevent the display of the remaining waiting time. Please check your browser settings – it may be necessary to reload the online shop website afterwards.
- Open the invitation link not with several devices (smartphone, PC, tablet etc.) and also not in several tabs of your browser. rule of thumb: a Device, a browsers, a Tab. The reason: If the system gets the impression that you want to register several times with one and the same invitation, error messages including temporary ‘forced breaks’ may appear.
- If you pay by credit card, can there are technical problems when completing the order (‘Checkout’) – mostly when entering the online TAN. We therefore currently recommend the preferred use of PayPal.
How can I be sure that this is a ‘real’ invitation from Sony Interactive and not a phishing email?
Always be skeptical when you receive unsolicited email from a company. In this specific case, there are three indications that it is actually an original email from Sony:
- PlayStation Direct invites will only be sent to email addresses linked to the relevant PSN account.
- Sender is a playstation.com address.
- Customers are typically ‘addressed’ by their PSN name.
If you are unsure, you are also welcome to contact the editorial team.
What are the odds of getting a PlayStation 5 from PlayStation Direct?
In contrast to the usual “PS5 drops” in German online and mail order business, shopping at PlayStation Direct is much more relaxed because only a selected group of customers takes part. In addition, the quotas are usually very manageable.
The real hurdle, however, is getting an email from Sony at all. If you know that well over 7 million PlayStation 4 consoles were sold in Germany alone, the number of “competitors” can be guessed at. Because all these PS4 owners inevitably also have a PSN account.
You cannot actively influence or accelerate the process. As long as you have a PSN account and have expressed your interest (see above), the only hope left is that sooner or later the Sony algorithm will pick you and send you an email.
You can find an overview of promising PS5 supply sources in German retail in this article. From Monday to Friday we will also keep you updated on the latest developments on the German PlayStation 5 market in our PS5 ticker.
#PlayStation #Direct #buy #PS5 #Sony #GamesWirtschaftde